A new kitchen faucet can change the entire look of your kitchen. The kitchen faucet gets a lot of use in your home. It's turned on and off quite a few times throughout the day, including everything from getting a drink of water to washing the dishes, to getting water for a meal you're trying to prepare. Over time your faucet could wear out, corrode or become damaged in some way. If you are in need of a new faucet, you can replace your kitchen faucet yourself. Read on for information on how to install a new faucet.
What You'll Need:
- New faucet
- Pipe wrench
- Scraper/razor blade
- New water lines
- Turn off the water supply to the faucet to prevent water from spraying everywhere. Turn off the water supply beneath the sink or near your sink to begin this process.
- Once the water is turned off, you can remove the faucet. Remove the water supply lines so you can remove the faucet. Place the lines in the bucket to prevent any water from getting all over. Disconnect the drain beneath the sink as well and use the bucket to catch the water that may remain inside the drainpipe.
- Next, remove the nuts beneath the faucet that is holding the faucet to the sink basin. Remove the handles and the faucet head from the sink basin.
- The area surrounding where the old faucet was may have some corrosion or calcium buildup on it. Remove the buildup from the sink using the scraper or the razor. Clean off the buildup and clean off any caulk or anything else that may remain.
- Install the new faucet and attach the faucet to the sink. Use the nuts to install the faucet to the sink basin. Attach the new water lines to the faucet and attach the drainpipe to the drain.
- Turn the water beneath your sink back on and test the faucet by turning on the water. Turn the water on for both the hot and cold handles and inspect it for any leaks both around the faucet and beneath the sink as well.
If you have a broken or corroded faucet, you can replace it with a new one yourself to give your kitchen some new life. If you are not too keen on installing a faucet yourself, you can hire a plumber to have your faucet installed for you. A professional plumber can do this work for you quickly and easily and will ensure it is done correctly.
Contact a company like Michigan Plumbing to learn more.